Welcome to Year 2!
I am so excited to be your new Year Two teacher! I have heard so many wonderful things about you!
In Year Two we will have lots of fun becoming authors and acting out funny stories. We will smash our times tables, reading and spelling! We will become talented scientific/geographical investigators and historians asking lots of questions! We will also be fine artists, singers and sportsmen. The sky is the limit!
Most importantly, we will care for each other and become one fabulous team where everyone is treated equally and with respect!
Miss Finnigan – Y2 Class Teacher
Mrs Pickthall – Higher Level Teaching Assistant
Attendance and Punctuality
Staggered start and finish times have been introduced to reduce the number of parents/carers arriving at the school site at any one time.
Parents/carers should drop their children off at the KS1 playground gate in the morning, and collect them from there at the following times
Year 2 start time is: 8.55am
Year 2 finish time is: 3.10pm
Staff will be available to support you.
Please exit the area promptly and maintain social distancing of 2 metres outside the school-grounds when dropping off and collecting your child.
Year 2 will be working in a class bubble. They will have both playtime and lunchtime in this bubble and will only mix with some children in the Year One bubble for specific phonic lessons.
All children will participate in regular hand washing throughout the day and where possible will be encouraged to socially distance.
This half term we will be adapting the Year 2 Read To Write scheme using the book ‘The River’ by Marc Martin to fit the needs of our class.
We will also have daily Read Write Inc sessions in groups tailored to your children’s needs.
In maths this half term we will be focusing on the place value of two digit numbers and fluency of number.
Our science topic this half term is plants, where pupils will be taught to:
- observe and describe how seeds and bulbs grow into mature plants
- find out and describe how plants need water, light and a suitable temperature to grow and stay healthy
For our first topic we will be focusing on our local area of Wallasey.
We will continue to follow The Way The Truth The Life scheme for RE. The first topic for this half term is ‘The Chosen People.’ Our key learning objectives are to;
- Know that we are chosen by God.
- Think of ways we can thank God by helping others.
- Know that God chose Abraham.
- Think about how Abraham trusted God to guide him.
- Know that God chose Moses to help His people.
- Reflect on how He looked after him.
- Understand why Daniel had to be brave and trust in God.
- Think of how important it is for us to trust in God.
Year Two will have P.E. on Monday with Mr McGovern.
Your child must come to school wearing their full P.E kit. Ideally this should consist of
- Hooded/zip up jacket/sweatshirt,
- tracksuit/jogging bottoms/leggings,
- Old/cheap trainers (preferably not pumps as PE will be held outside as much as possible.)
Remember children should not wear expensive clothes as there is risk of them getting torn or muddy during outdoor PE sessions.